Masjid Syuhada dengan mobil dan kapal/Syuhada Mosque (Mosque of Martyrs) with car and plane
Jl. Pemuda 19, Muntilan, Magelang, Central Java, Indonesia
Place of Acquisition
Gito Antique Shop, Magelang-Jogjakarta Rd, Jumoyo, Salam, Magelang, Indonesia
Name Painter (Place and Year of Birth-Death)
Sastradiharjo, called Sastrogambar (Muntilan 1915-1984)
37cm x 50cm
Bangkok , Thailand(Home)
Masjid Agung Syuhada Jogjakarta (Jogjakarta Great Mosque of Martyrs) with a car in front and a plane in the air. Important mosques are a common theme of glass paintings from the 1920 onwards in the surroundings of Jogjakarta and the neighboring district of Muntilan in Central Java). In this case, the mosque is relatively new, but is important for its historical value signing the independence of Indonesia and the special status of Jogjakarta as a region.
The construction to Masjid Agung Syuhada was started in 1950 by Sri Sultan Hamengkubuwono IX (who at the time was also Defense Minister) and was inaugurated on 1952. The mosque is a memorial to jogjakarta, the capital of the independence struggle and the new nation of Indonesia expressing the sanctity of the nationalist struggle.
The painter Sastrogambar is the older brother of Maryono –another well-known painter of glass paintings.
According to Hermanu, the curator of the glass paintings exhibition “Jamila” (2014), it is a feature of glass paintings of mosques in the 1950-60 period to have transportation vehicles painted in front of the mosque and for the Masjid Agung Syuhada Jogjakarta the most common one is a car thttp://harisfirdaus.id/2014/07/dongeng-islam-dalam-lukisan-kaca/.