Mesjid Agung Keraton Surakarta dan kereta api/The Great Mosque of Surakarta and train
1960 circa (could be before)
Pundong, Tirtoadi, Mlati, Sleman, Jogjakarta, DIJ, Indonesia
Place of Acquisition
Gito Antique Shop, Magelang-Jogjakarta Rd, Jumoyo, Salam, Magelang, Indonesia
Name Painter (Place and Year of Birth-Death)
Kartodihardjo (Sleman 1912-n.d.)
52 cm x 39 cm
Bangkok, Thailand (Home)
The Great Mosque of Surakarta (Indonesian Masjid Agung Surakarta was built by SunanPakubuwono III in 1763 as the royal mosque of the Surakarta Sultanate in Solo, Central Java.
The design of the Great Mosque of Surakarta follows a conservative Javanese architecture principle with two prayer halls and and a three-tiered, topped with a mustaka (rooftop ornament). A characteristic is the minaret located to the northeast of the mosque, whose design is based on Qutb Minar of Delhi.
According to Hermanu, the curator of the glass paintings exhibition “Jamila” (2014), it is a feature of glass paintings of mosques in the 1950-60 period to have transportation vehicles painted in front of the mosque and for the Mesjid Agung Surakarta the most common one is a train http://harisfirdaus.id/2014/07/dongeng-islam-dalam-lukisan-kaca/. Other scholars note that the train is also associated with the Demak Mosque (although it can also be other means like the becak in the painting with collection #22 by the same painter)